Tuesday, July 14, 2009

How to ask the right questions to help you close the sale

When I was a fledgling sales person selling computers to the government, our sales trainer would say, “The quality of your questions determine the quality of your paycheck.” This was a commission only position but asking the right questions eluded me and therefore, I was struggling.

I was so anxious to get my pitch out that I did all the talking. Plus I thought if I asked a lot of questions, I might bother the prospect. So I made a zillion calls and through the force of this volume was able to make and exceed my numbers.

I took additional sales training and finally learned a systematic approach to asking the right questions. The reason you want to ask the right questions is to:

1. Build Rapport
2. Develop trust in the relationship
3. Show the potential client that you are interested in their needs
4. Qualify the potential client to see if they are right for your business

When your goal is to understand the needs of your prospects to ensure that your solution is right for them, these questions will be critical to this goal.

To give credit where credit is due, this is the Dale Carnegie Questioning model and it works extremely well,

1. Ask “As Is” questions
“As Is” questions are questions about their current situation. Some examples are:

What are the challenges you are currently facing?
Why did you select your current vendor?
What are you hearing from your customers?

2. Ask “Should Be” questions
Should be questions are what the prospects is hoping to achieve.
Some examples are:

Looking forward 6 months, where would you like to be?
If you could wave a magic wand, what would be different?
What do you want to hear from your customers?

3. Ask “Barrier” questions
Barrier questions are what is blocking them from achieving their goals. Some examples are:

What’s preventing you from achieving these objectives?
What is holding your company back from making the transition?
What is the level of urgency for making this change?

4. Ask “Pay Out” questions
Pay out questions invokes emotion from your potential client by asking them to imagine they have achieved their goals.

If you were able to…what would that mean to your company?
What would it mean to you?

Okay, now that we have gone through this questioning model, I am going to give you my secret question. This question allows people to feel comfortable telling me everything important to them. I don’t have to remember all the questions above because of this question. Here it is:

Tell me about…(your company, your goals, etc.)

Then be quiet. Quiet your mind as well as don’t interrupt. Take notes if you need to and come back to fill in the blanks. This question is selling magic!

One last note here, if you have not developed rapport from the beginning of the relationship, your prospect will not feel comfortable answering your questions. You will need to ask permission to proceed and earn the right to ask these questions. Once you have mastered this, your sales success will explode.

Your success is our mission!

Sincerely,

Joanne

www.salessolutionsusa.com

www.breakthroughsalessystem.com

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment